Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ghosts in the Furniture

                     IT'S DEAD ARE NOT WOMEN OR MEN.


This narrative does not begin with a move or an earthquake. It begins on a Wednesday in September at 8:11 p.m.

I was thinking deeply of  a landscape I couldn't place, but felt such a horrible longing for.
Dark, clean rock as walls supporting a vast immobile lake. It was so deep-set and so thoroughly
kept within those solid blank walls that the place was almost windless. Almost lifeless. 
Without life, was it not a Dead place?                                                            I flipped the switch on the
coffee maker as I thought this last thought. It made sounds like cats vomiting and clocks ticking.
I waited for it to subside into dripping while I  sank in to my couch. Still thinking of: Eudoxia. 
That was the name of the lake. EUDOXIA. It's state, it's locale, still lost to me. At this thought, I 
found my chin on my chest with my spine curved profoundly to accommodate my position; falling 
backward in to the couch. It frightened me, as if I were leaving---and I didn't know I was going. 
It was a painful moment. I moved quickly, but stiffly to the coffee maker. How I should be so stiff
after such a brief...the clock read 11:41 pm. I have never been so startled. I didn't recall sleeping
or waking. 
The coffee was thick and unkind from it's houres on the burner. I drank it standing.






END TO OPENING SEQUENCE.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment